When it comes to choosing a web hosting, it can be confusing because of the many options available in the market. Someone who is just starting with their first website usually chooses a Shared Hosting plan mainly because of being the most cost-effective. Before understanding Linux Shared Hosting and the various benefits of using a Shared Linux Hosting plan, it is important to understand how Shared Hosting works.
What is Linux Shared Hosting?
Multiple websites share the resources of a physical server in a Shared Linux Hosting plan. Each website is allocated definite resources on the server. Since one server is shared between multiple websites, the cost is shared, making it a cost-saving plan. As your desktop requires an operating system to run, similarly the physical server needs an OS. Unlike personal computers, when it comes to servers, the Linux operating system is the most popular OS. Linux is an open-source platform based on Unix developed first back in 1991. It is free to install and is considered more reliable than its counterparts.
Benefits of using a Shared Linux hosting
- Cost-saving: We have already seen how multiple websites share the cost of the physical server in Shared Hosting. On top of it, installing an operating system that is open-source and free to use brings the price down considerably. Web hosting companies use this to their advantage. Using a Linux OS on their server not only gives them a competitive edge but also increase their profitability.
- Security: Shared Hosting is not a suitable option for you if security is a major concern. However, a Linux-based Shared Hosting is comparatively more secured as it is less vulnerable to cyberattacks such as DDoS and other malicious attempts. Also, any security scare can be found and fixed by different patches released from time-to-time.
- Frequent upgrades: As Linux doesn’t belong to a single person or an organisation, many developers keep contributing to it. Thus, over the years, it has improved by frequent updates and patches.
- Ease of use: It has a user-friendly interface which can support applications like MySQL, Perl and PHP. It also comes with pre-installed scripts of different applications like WordPress, Drupal and Joomla.
- Control panel: Generally, the Linux Shared Hosting comes with a user-intuitive cPanel, which is considered to be the favourite among new users. Not only is it compatible with different browsers like Chrome and Firefox but is more reliable than other control panels. The new version of cPanel comes in-built with DNS clustering system, which provides hassle-free performance.
- Reliability: Linux Shared Hosting is more reliable than servers running on other OS. It has a great backup feature which has reported hardly any memory leaks. It can handle more applications simultaneously without being restarted.
- Lightweight: Linux OS is lightweight on the server. Most of the distros of Linux run on toasters, which does not drain the resources of the server. It slashes most of the expenditure spent on maintenance. This ensures that Linux Shared Hosting is the most cost-efficient hosting option.
Shared Hosting is the cheapest option available in the market. It is a go-to option for a person or organisations on a budget. However, as the physical server has to be shared between multiple clients or websites, there are many security concerns. Linux Shared Hosting is Shared Hosting servers running on Linux OS. Linux has many additional advantages compared to Windows OS. Not only is it free to use, but also can support many popular applications and scripts. It is also more secure against DDoS attacks and has a stable framework. You should keep in mind that the type of hosting is good only if the provider backing it up is also good.